Academic advisors are assigned to all students enrolled at Vol State. Academic advisors are committed to helping students meet their educational needs through referrals to other resources of the institution.
- Advising Hours
- Normal operating hours for the Advising Center are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm in Ramer Administration Building, Room 174. Students may visit or phone 615-230-3702.
An evening Advisor/Counselor is available by appointment, Monday through Thursday from 5:00pm to 8:00pm in Wood Campus Center, Room 217, phone 615-230-3494.
- Academic Advising Information
E-Mail an Advisor at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Advisors:
- Assist students in planning an educational program consistent with their interest and abilities
- Help you clarify career goals
- Monitor the student's academic progress
- Clarify degree requirements
- Assist with registration process
- Provide information on course substitutions and transfer requirements
- Provide an unofficial graduation audit ("OnCourse") and assist with the graduation application
- Serve as a student advocate
Each semester, you may consult with an academic advisor before registering. However, students are encouraged to meet with their advisors on a regular basis to discuss interest, goals, educational plans, and special needs. Through communication and information exchange with their academic advisor, students engage in the decision-making process to realize their maximum educational potential. It is the students' responsibility to:
- Set personal and professional goals
- Select a program of study
- Fulfill program requirements
- Complete necessary paperwork
- Make their own decisions
You will be assigned an academic advisor according to your major area of study. Advising is a joint responsibility of faculty and student. The advisor's task is to guide the student toward accepting responsibility for mature academic decision making. An appointment with your advisor will be a time for you to discuss goals, schedule for upcoming semester, and opportunities available to you in your major.
Academic Advising takes place prior to each early registration period and during each official registration period. Currently enrolled students are encouraged to speak with their advisor during the early registration period. Advisors are also available for any new student participating in Orientation and Early Registration.
- Advising Center
The Advising Center is available to serve the advising needs of the Non-Degree-Seeking and Undeclared student. Students with declared majors will be assigned to advisors in the academic divisions. The Advising Center is located in the Ramer Administration Building Suite 174/
Hours of operation are 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Students may visit or phone (615) 230-3702. An evening Advisor/Counselor is available by appointment (615-230-3494) Monday through Thursday from 5:00pm to 8:00pm in Wood Campus Center, Room 217.
- Advising Center Responsibilities:
- Advising for all Undecided and Non-Degree Students
- Advising for all students when faculty advisors are not available
- Assistance with transfer issues
- Assistance with the maintenance of Transfer Equivalency Tables and other transfer information
- Assistance with general advising information for divisions
- Learning Support Screening of Transfer and Transient Students
- Explaining placement assessment results
- Modifying computer screens to allow enrollment
- Production and distribution of Advising Resource Manuals
- Advisor Training As Requested
- Career Counseling
- Limited Personal Counseling
- Educational Planning
- Regents Online Degree Program Student Contact
- Assistance With The Early Alert Program
- Publish the Be Advised newsletter
- Screen Transfer Students For Placement Testing Requirements and Modify Banner screens accordingly
- Advise ESOL students along with some faculty advisors in the Humanities Division