Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the College offer a payment plan for registration fees?
Yes, please refer to the Deferred Payment Plan for eligibility, terms, and conditions.
- Can fees be paid with a check card or debit card?
Yes, if the card has an American Express, Discover, Visa or MasterCard logo.
- Can I make a payment over the telephone?
Yes, with an American Express, Discover, Visa or MasterCard by dialing the Business Office at (615) 230 - 3585. Currently, the Business Office cannot accept checks by phone.
- Can I make a payment online?
Fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit card (American Express, Discover, Visa or MasterCard), in the Business Office during regular office hours. The Business Office cannot accept checks by phone. Fees may also be paid online through Pride Online. Instructions to pay online can be found at http://www.volstate.edu/Pride/Documents/PrideOnlinePaymentInstructions.pdf. In addition, students may make a credit card payment by phone by contacting the Business Office at (615) 230 - 3585 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- Will I need a parking permit?
Yes, you will need a parking decal in order to park on campus. You may pick up your decal in the Student Life Office at the Main Campus. The decal should be displayed in the bottom left corner of your rear window. Parking lots are designated for students. The campus access fee is assessed to all students for their use of these parking lots.
- Where do I pay for a traffic citation?
Citations are paid in the Business Office. A hold will be placed on your account for any unpaid citations.
- Who do I see if I wish to appeal a traffic citation?
Traffic Appeal forms can be obtained from the Office of the Vice President/Dean of Student Services. The completed form can be returned to this office, or you may present it in person to the Student Traffic Appeals Committee.
- My check payment was returned by the bank, what are the consequences?
The Business Office will notify you that your check or electronic check was returned by your financial institution, and a $30.00 service fee will be charged for each check that is returned. Your records will be held until the bad check has been paid. Payments for returned checks must be by cash, credit card or money order. Collection efforts will be pursued by the College for all returned checks. This may affect your eligibility to participate in the Deferred Payment Plan. Also, check writing privileges may be revoked for any student who has checks returned by a bank more than once.
- I am expecting refund after receiving financial aid. How will I receive the refund?
Beginning with the Summer 2013 term, refunds will be issued to a Pre-Paid DiscoverÂ© debit card. The cards will begin to be mailed several weeks before classes begin, and once you have completed a FAFSA and registered for classes. Funds will be loaded the same day the refund is issued and the card can be used at any location that accepts Discover. More information can be found at http://www.volstate.edu/BusinessOffice/finaid_refund.php. If you would like to opt out and continue to receive a check or have funds directly deposited into your bank account, please send an email to BusinessOffice@VolState.edu. Instructions for setting up direct deposit can be found athttp://www.volstate.edu/BusinessOffice/DirectDeposit.php. The business office begins processing financial aid refunds the first week of class and will continue to process daily through the second week. After that, financial aid refunds will be processed twice weekly for three weeks, then once weekly for the next 5 weeks. Attendance requirements must be met before the refund is processed, which varies based on the total number of hours attending. If you have a late starting class, a form can be signed in the financial aid office in order to have the refund processed at the beginning of the semester.
- If I drop or withdraw from class(es) and I am eligible for a refund, how will I receive that refund?
Your refund will be processed three weeks after the drop/withdrawal. You may set-up to receive the refund as a direct deposit or a paper check. The paper check is mailed to you. Refunds are processed back to the student. Additional refund information is available on our refunds page.
- When I register, will I receive a bill?
Please see: Important Billing Dates for Early Registration.
- How do I check if attendance for my classes has been confirmed?
- Login to the MyVolstate Portal at portal.volstate.edu.
- Login using your username and password. Click the “Pride Online” tab.
- Click “Attendance Reporting” (Listed under Student Menu – Student Records)
- Select the current term.
- The next screen will show your schedule with two columns called “Attending” and “Date Confirmed”. You must have a “Yes” in the Attending Column and a date listed by the course under Date Confirmed to be considered attending that course.
- How often should I check my @volstate.edu email account?
Students are encouraged to check their @volstate.edu email accounts at a minimum of once a week. All important communications sent from Vol State regarding fees and tuition, advising, refunds, financial aid, etc. will go directly to your @volstate.edu account.