Prior Learning Assessment
Prior Learning Assessment is a process for granting Vol State students college credit for their life experiences. This can result in fewer needed classes to fulfil graduation requirements. The maximum number of credit hours that may be awarded is nine (9).
Instructions for Pursuing Prior Learning Assessment Experience
- Contact the Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee which is the Assistant Director of Records & Registration. The maximum number of credit hours that may be awarded is nine (9).
- Upon completion of the portfolio/presentation of required documentation and approval to pursue the Prior Learning Assessment experience option, the Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee will inform you (requesting party) of:
- The applicable assessment fee to be paid ($25 per course).
- The deadline for completion of the portfolio or submission of the required documentation.
- The faculty member who may be assigned to review your documentation and make recommendations regarding approval or denial of credit.
- The procedures to be followed throughout the review process.
- The requesting party will make payment, provide the Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee with a copy of the receipt from the VSCC Business Office verifying payment and present the portfolio/presentation.
- The Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee will submit the portfolio to the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Review committee (comprised of the academic dean and his/her designees).
- The Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee will review and recommend approval or denial of credit.
- The review committee will recommend to the Vice President of Academic Affairs their approval or denial for credit. If approval for credit is given by VP of Academic Affairs, the portfolio is returned to the Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee with the recommendation of approval. A letter will be sent to the requester notifying credit has been approved and directing him/her to contact the College’s Business Office to pay the per credit hour maintenance fee for the total number of approved credit hours.
- The Chair of the Prior Learning Assessment Experience Committee will inform Office of Records and the requesting party if credit is to be awarded. Otherwise, the Chair will inform the requesting party that credit has been denied.
The student's portfolio may include the following:
- Cover page and detailed outline or table of contents.
- Most current course syllabus of the course petitioned for credit.
- Detailed resume to include: education, employment history, continuing education units, professional activities, association memberships, civic and social activities, honors, etc.
- Narrative: to be typed in manuscript style with a detailed explanation of activities listed in the resume, describing the theoretical and experiential knowledge as it relates to the specific course.
- Verifications: documents such as transcripts, professional certificates, documentation regarding previous military experiences, CEU's, letters of reference from employers and colleagues, professional evaluations, testimonials, position descriptions, performance evaluations, products of professional activities, etc.