Client ServicesVolunteer State Community College offers Faculty and Staff the best technical support available for computer-related requests. Client Services is staffed with qualified technical support personnel for your computer needs.
Software Update Schedule
November 2011 Window 7 and Microsoft 2010 Implementation on all campuses
Setup for Microsoft Outlook 2010 from an existing Office 2007 installation, There is no setup, Enjoy!
- Setup for Microsoft Outlook 2010 New Install:
- Open Outlook 2010
- Take the defaults until you reach the 3rd screen that asked if you want to do a manual install in the bottom left corner of the box, Click "Manual Install"
- On the next Screen, check the middle selection "Microsoft Exchange……"
- On the next Screen, where it asks for the Mail server, enter "Mail.volstate.edu"
- Take the defaults on the rest of the screens
- You're done!
- If you do not like the side-by-side Reading Pain do the following:
- Open Outlook if it is not already open
- Click View
- Click Reading Pane
- Select Side, Bottom or Off. Whichever is your preference
- You're Done!
How To Guides
- Setup Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Setup a Network Printer
- View "Public Folders" in Outlook
- Change Toner Cartridge
- Keep legitimate email from going into Junk Email
- Change Ink Cartridge
Windows XP Guides
- Create Program Shortcuts on the Desktop
- Move files from one folder to another
- Change size of Desktop Icons
- Create a Desktop Shortcut to my Network Files
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I discuss IT Policies with management?
- If you have a question or concern about IT Policies, please contact Brian Kraus. Dr. Kraus can be contacted by email at Brian.Kraus@volstate.edu.
- How do I escalate my request to IT's management?
- If you have a question or concern about a request, please contact IT's Director Brian Kraus. Dr. Kraus can be contacted by email at Brian.Kraus@volstate.edu .
- Can I take software home to use on my personal home computer for Vol State work?
- Vol State owned software cannot be installed on any personal computer equipment. However, a laptop can be checked out for use at home and the special software can be installed on the checkout laptop. To request a checkout laptop, please contact the IT Help Desk at 615-230-3302.
- How can I request physical disability accommodations?
- All requests or disability accommodations must go through the office of Disability Services.
- Why is my computer running slow?
- If your computer starts running a little sluggish or is acting unusual, turn it off. Wait 10 seconds then turn it back on. If your computer continues to act unusual, please submit anIT Trouble Ticket for assistance.
- Why do I need to leave my computer on at night?
- The Information Technology personnel work at night to provide updates that help to maintain the computer equipment on campus. Please leave your computer on so that these updates can go smoothly to all the computers.
- How do I get assistance with my personal home computer?
- The Information Technology personnel are unable to provide any assistance with home computers.
- What do I need to do for moving my computer a foot or two?
- If you feel comfortable moving your computer a foot or two, please do it. Be careful with the cables and connections to ensure that they aren't pulled too much or too tight during the rearranging of equipment.
If you do not feel comfortable moving your computer or if you need to move it more than a foot or two, please contact Information Technology by submitting an IT Trouble Ticket.
- How do I request new hardware?
- To request new hardware, please submit anIT Trouble Ticket.
- How do I request in-depth training on new software?
- For in-depth training on new software, please contact Clarence Dobbins with the Technology Learning Center. Mr. Dobbins can be contacted by email at Clarence.Dobbins@volstate.edu.
- How do I request software installations?
- To request software installations, please submit anIT Trouble Ticket.
- Why is my computer asking to update or upgrade software?
- Computer software is constantly being updated by their manufactures. Information Technology works to ensure that your computer stays up-to-date with the latest in computer software available. Every now and then we may automatically send a software update to your computer. Please allow the update to install completely.
- What can I do with used ink and toner cartridges?
- The Vol State Recycling Committee recycles all ink and toner cartridges. These recycling funds go toward a student Recycling Scholarship. Please recycling your used ink and toner cartridges by placing them in the drop box located at the Campus Bookstore. The Campus Bookstore can be found in the Wood Campus Center.
- How do I request a laptop for use on a temporary basis?
- To request a checkout laptop, please contact the IT Help Desk by telephone at 615-230-3302.