Secure FTP Server
Volunteer State Community College has spent a considerable amount of time, effort and investment in keeping your computing environment as safe and rewarding as possible. The Secure File Transfer Server (SFTP) is not intended for long term storage, any files residing on the SFTP Server are subject to deletion without notice. The SFTP Server is intended for Faculty, Staff, and authorized third parties. The SFTP Server is not intended for Student usage, Information Technology reserves the right to refuses access to the SFTP Server for any reason. Files on the SFTP Server are not backed up by Information Technology. The SFTP Server is a Beta Server running test Software and is not guaranteed to be available 24/7. In order to maintain this high quality, safe computing environment we require these common practices from every SFTP user.
- The Office of Information Technology may terminate user accounts at any time, without notice, for conduct that violates these guidelines or for any other reason. Information Technology may terminate user accounts and delete any and all user information for conduct that Information Technology believes is harmful to Volunteer State Community College. Pages found violating these items may be subject to immediate deletion and removal from our servers. The Office of Information Technology will be the sole arbiter of this decision and services will only be restored to the individual upon successful appeal to the Director of Information Technology.
- SFTP accounts are assigned to and should be used by an individual, not to a department and should not be shared.
- SFTP Clients must be SSL compatible. FileZilla is a free client with SSL compatibility and is approved by but not required.
- SFTP Password changes must be requested through The Office of Information Technology.
- The Office of Information Technology reserves the right to audit log files whenever deemed necessary. Logging captures but is not limited to account information, login date and time, files transferred, and other prudent information.
- Detection of illegal use or practices including but not limited to Content that condones, promotes, contains, or links to warez, cracks, hacks, their associated utilities, or other piracy-related information, whether for educational purposes or not. Content that commits acts of copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other intellectual property infringement detrimental to Volunteer State Community College, students, faculty, or staff will result in the withdrawal of services to the individual determined to be at fault.
- A SFTP Request form needs to be completed by the individual needing SFTP access and returned to Information Technology in Warf 117 or faxed to (615) 230 - 3431.
- After request form is received and approved by Information Technology, a user account will be created and an email notifying the requestor of its creation will be sent. The username and password will only be supplied to the individual via phone.