Understand the Assignment
Know what you need before you start. The details and limitations will affect how you approach your research. Consider:
- What is the project format: Written paper? Oral presentation? Online project? Media production? Poster presentation?
- What kind of project is this? Informative? Analytical? Argumentative/persuasive?
- How many sources will you need?
- What types of sources do you need? Popular magazines? Scholarly journals? Newspapers? Books? Web sites? Primary sources? Interviews?
- Do you need visuals?
Are there any assignment limitations?
- How long is your project/presentation?
- How much time do you have to work on the project?
Talk to your instructor if any of these requirements are unclear to you.