Physical Therapist Assistant Program
On June 6th and July 25th advising will begin at 12:00 PM instead of 1PM
This program prepares students to become mid-level Physical Therapy practitioners. Physical Therapist Assistants work under the direction of a Registered Physical Therapist in a wide variety of health care facilities. The Vol State program meets the guidelines for accredited curricula and is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, 111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. Telephone: (703) 706 - 3245
If you are interested in the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, please read the PTA Information packet and Frequently Asked Questions. If you have further questions after reading both the Information packet and the FAQ's then you should attend PTA advising which is held each Wednesday at 1:00 in Building 100. Wednesday advising is required before entering the program. Check the website for cancelations.
PTA Advising Hotline: (615) 452-8600 - ext. 2321
- Enrollment Requirements
- Admission to the program is limited to 32 students. The application process begins in January each year. The application deadline is March 15th. Class selection is completed in May from applicants who complete all prerequisites by the end of the Spring Semester. In order to be eligible for admission into the PTA program, students must successfully complete, with a grade of “C” or better, all of the required general education courses and BIOL 2020, AHC 115, AHC 101, and PTA 110. Once students are admitted into the second year of the PTA program, three semesters of continuous full-time intensive study are required for completion. The program begins with the summer session. The PTA program classes frequently do not follow the regular College calendar.
- Student Background Check
- Effective September 1, 2005, students seeking enrollment in designated Allied Health programs requiring participation in clinical training in area hospitals and related clinics/agencies must provide evidence of a passing score on a background check prior to official acceptance/enrollment into the respective program. Either the failure to provide the required background check results by the due date established or the receipt of anything other than a passing score on the background check will make a student ineligible for enrollment in the respective program. Background checks are performed at the student’s expense. Find more detailed information about Student Background Checks.
- Notice for prospective PTA students
Who: Anyone interested in information about the VSCC PTA Program
What: Open Advising Sessions
When: Every Wednesday at 1:00 pm
There are no meetings on the following dates:
- Feb. 20
Where: Vol State’s campus Annex 100, Room 108
With: A faculty member of Vol State's PTA Program will be present to answer your questions
Bring: Copies of all college transcripts (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
- Degree Advancement Program Agreement with MTSU
MTSU and Vol State have developed an AAS-to-BS program to allow students who earn an Associate of Applied Science in Physical Therapist Assistant at Vol State to transfer the majority of those credits to MTSU toward the completion of a Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies with a concentration in Organizational Leadership. This degree is offered through MTSU’s University College in cooperation with the Tennessee Board of Regents.
MTSU provides a wealth of information about Degree Advancement Program on their website; including an information sheet about Physical Therapist Assistant.
- What to Do Next
- Download the Physical Therapist Assistant Program Information Packet
- Apply to the College
- Submit an application to Allied Health Careers
- Explore the links on the left side of this page