If you are interested in the next cohort that will start Spring 2016, please contact us and get on the interest list. We will notify you of the next information sessions.
Vol State's Health Sciences Center of Emphasis, in conjunction with the Rx-TN (A Prescription for Healthcare Training in Tennessee) Grant, offers ECG as part of its 9-month CCMA cohort program. This course uses a mixture of online work and either evening or weekend class meetings. Upon completion of the ECG portion of the cohort program, students will be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association Electrocardiogram Technician certification.
- What do ECG Technicians do?
ECG Technicians prepare patients for electrocardiograms by applying electrodes, calculating a patient's heart rate, identifying and resolving artifacts from the tracing and responding to potentially life threatening arrhythmias.
An ECG is done to:
- Check the heart's electrical activity
- Find the cause of unexplained chest pain
- Determine the presence and extent of heart disease
- Check how well medicines are working and whether they are causing side effects
- Check how well mechanical devices (pacemakers, etc) are working
- Where do ECG Technicians work?
ECG Technicians work in physician's offices, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities and organizations. ECG Technicians also work for insurance companies to provide data for health and life insurance policies.
Similar to other growing healthcare professions, the demand for ECG Technicians is expected to grow.
- How will Vol State's Electrocardiogram Technician program benefit you?
- As a participant in the Rx-TN Grant, Vol State will offer you strong student support, including Digital Literacy training, critical skills workshop, and job search assistance.
- Vol State is a Certified National Healthcareer Association (NHA) testing site, which means you will be able to take the ECG Certification exam on our campus.
- Our ECG Technician class is coupled with our Phlebotomy Technician Course and our Patient Care Technician Course to prepare you for NHA's Clinical Medical Assistant Certification Exam.
- Course Cost: $550
- Lab Supplies
- One set of scrubs
Additional costs (not included in course cost):
- NHA Certification Exam ($105)
- If you have any questions please contact:
Rx TN Completion Coach