How to Apply
For students to participate in the TRIO Student Support Services Program, one or more of the following requirements must be met according to the legislative requirements of the U.S. Department of Education:
- Family income meets published federal guidelines (low income),
- Neither parent earned a four-year college degree (first generation), or
- Referral by the Office of Disability Services (disabled).
Additionally, the student must demonstrate an academic need for services and must have the potential to benefit from the services. It is possible that students will be placed on a waiting list for services, due to limited enrollment.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Complete an application by picking one up in the Wood Campus Center, Room 212 or you can simply download an application.This application is in PDF format and can be filled out by typing into its interactive form fields. Once the application is filled out, save the changes and either print out the completed document or submit it via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please complete the last page of the application packet first (Taxable Income Worksheet).
- Provide a copy of your family's federal income tax return for the last calendar year. If no tax return was filed, please provide verification of income from one of the following government sources:
- SS/SSI benefits statement
- VA benefits
- Worker's Compensation
- Proof of child support
- Unemployment benefits statement
- Once the application is completed and reviewed, schedule an intake appointment with the Director or designee to certify eligibility and to process the application. Data is collected and used for reporting purposes following established federal and state guidelines to protect student privacy.
- Students accepted as program participants will develop an Individualized Learning Plan in cooperation with the TRIO Student Support Services Counselor or Director.
If you are returning a completed application and/or documentation please send all correspondence to:
TRIO Student Support Services Program
Volunteer State Community College
1480 Nashville Pike
Wood Campus Center
Gallatin, TN 37066-3188