Non-Degree Seeking Students

A non-degree student is one who is not seeking a degree but wishes to take courses for personal enrichment or professional growth. Non-degree students are not eligible for Financial Aid programs.

Students who wish to take courses for personal enrichment or professional growth may continue to accumulate credit in the non-degree category for up to forty-eight semester hours. Exceptions to this maximum may be granted by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Non-degree applicants may choose to apply to be admitted to a degree or technical certificate program. At that time, the applicant must meet the appropriate admission requirements for that status. Coursework completed as a non-degree student may be applied to a degree or certificate if said coursework is applicable.

Applicants seeking admission as a non-degree student at the College must meet the following requirements:


A completed application for admission to Volunteer State Community College is required.


Applicants who would like to be eligible for a state public benefit (in-state tuition) are required to verify their US citizenship or lawful presence with the college.  To learn more, please visit our citizenship page.

Placement Testing:

Unless otherwise exempt by ACT scores, transfer credit, etc., all non-degree-seeking applicants will be subject to placement testing for courses having placement prerequisites. The placement test is designed to measure skills in reading, writing, and math. Applicants whose native language is not English may be required to complete a specialized placement test.

Applicants with transfer credit who have not been assessed at a Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) institution or completed any college-level courses in English composition and/or college-level math with a grade of "C" or better will be assessed according to the College's assessment and placement procedures. Transfer applicants with valid (less than three years old) ACT scores may be placed using those scores.

Applicant Age:

Applicants must be 21 years of age or older or their high school class must have graduated. If applicant is a high school graduate or has earned a HSE diploma, there is no age restriction.

Draft Registration:

All male applicants, born in 1960 or later, who have attained the age of 18, must have proof of draft registration before registering for classes at Volunteer State Community College. If a male applicant is under the age of 18 at the time of admission, the applicant must provide proof of registration with Selective Service upon turning 18 years of age if still enrolled at Volunteer State Community College.


Please visit our immunization page for detailed information about the types of vaccinations required.