High School

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost?

A one-time non-refundable application fee of $20 is required with the application. Tuition and Fees for all Vol State courses are determined by the Tennessee Board of Regents each summer for the following fall semester and are subject to change without notice. Please contact the Office of Off-Campus Sites for the current fee structure. There is an additional cost for textbooks. Textbooks can be ordered through efollett, a bookstore located on the campus of Volunteer State Community College.

Is there financial assistance available?

Students participating in Dual Enrollment are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. However, the Tennessee Dual Enrollment Grant, Fee Discounts and the Deferred Payment plan make the program more affordable.

Tennessee Dual Enrollment Grants will help defer the cost of the course fees. Eligible students can receive up to $300 per semester they participate in the Dual Enrollment program. Students must maintain a Vol State grade point average of 2.75 to be eligible to continue receiving the grant.

Fee Discounts: Students whose parents are public school teachers or state employees receive a 25% discount on course fees. Students whose parents are employed by the Tennessee Board of Regents receive a 50% discount on course fees. Discount forms are available through the parent's place of employment and are required at the time of registration.

Deferred Payment Plan: This plan is available to allow students to pay fees in installments. The plan requires a 50% down payment plus the $25 fee for the deferred payment plan and two additional 25% installment payments. A $25 late fee will be assessed for any late payments.

Will it transfer?

If a student is going to a Tennessee Board of Regents School, the credits will transfer. The UT system varies some, but for the most part, the classes will transfer. If your student is going to a private college or to a college outside the state of TN, it is in the student's best interest to address the issue of transfer credit directly with the institution the student is planning to attend. As with any transfer credit, it is the prerogative of the receiving institution to determine whether or not a course will transfer.

When do i take the act?

Students are encouraged to register for the ACT on a national testing day and designate Volunteer State Community College as one of the institutions to receive their scores. To be eligible for Fall Semester Dual Enrollment, students should take the national ACT no later than the previous April; for Spring Semester Dual Enrollment, students should take the national ACT no later than the previous October. National PLAN scores can be used for rising juniors who have not yet taken the ACT.