Volunteer State Community College manages the Sumner and Macon County Adult Education programs, formerly coordinated through the Sumner County and Macon County Boards of Education. The primary classes offered are Tennessee High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma prep courses, designed to get people ready to take the Tennessee High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma high school equivalency exam. We will also have English Literacy/Civics education (EL Civics) courses for speakers of other languages. EL Civics combines English language learning with information about the United States government and American society.
Our mission is to:
- Assist adults to become literate and obtain the knowledge and skills necessary for employment and self-sufficiency
- Assist adults who are parents to obtain the educational skills necessary to become full partners in the educational development of their children
- Assist adults in the completion of a secondary school education.
What we offer:
- HSE Preparation classes including HSE FastTrack and the Official HSE Practice Test
- English Literacy/Civics education classes (EL Civics)
- Workforce literacy skills
- Individualized/small group instruction
- Basic education classes
Classes are offered during the day and in the evening at various times in both Sumner and Macon Counties. Classes are free and there is no application fee.
How to get started:
New students will need to complete an assessment and an orientation session to register for the program. Call the office in your county to get started.
Where to find us:
The offices for the HSE and EL Civics Program for Sumner County are located on the Vol State campus at 1480 Nashville Pike in Gallatin in the Warf Building Room 126. You can park in the Pickel Field House parking lot off of the Gap Blvd. entrance to the college. The phone number for the Sumner County office is 615-230-3621 or toll free at 1-888-335-8722, extension 3621.
Macon County classes will be held at the Adult Education Center, located behind the Macon County Schools offices at 501 College Street in Lafayette. The phone number for the Macon County Center is 615-666-2125.
The Vol State HSE and EL Civics program is the proud recipient of the Tennessee Quality Award at the Interest Level. The program is currently working toward earning the second of the state's three quality award levels. We seek to empower individuals through education and lifelong learning to acquire skills and knowledge to succeed in the dynamic and changing Tennessee workforce.
Here are some links with more information:
- Division of Adult Education
- Center for Literacy Studies (AE Online)
- Sumner County Career Center
- Tennessee Literacy Coalition
- Tennessee Adult Literacy Facts