Frequently Asked Questions

What is "Articulation"?

Articulation is the formal process of developing and maintaining transfer options for students. Volunteer State Community College and several 4-year institutions establish articulation agreements to provide students with access to, and linkages with, baccalaureate degree-granting institutions. Agreements often include: Minimum GPA requirements for admission, minimum number of credit hours that will transfer, and transferable courses for specific degrees or majors.

I want to transfer TO VSCC . What do I need to do?

VSCC is an "open door" institution, meaning that almost anyone can apply and enroll to take classes. All the information you need to know about admissions, orientation, enrollment, degree options and more is on the web, including our on-line application . Begin by reading "Steps to Enrollment" and if you still have questions, contact the Advising Center and they'll be glad to assist you.

How do I transfer FROM VSCC to a 4-year school?

It's never too early to begin planning for a smooth transfer to another institution. You are encouraged to begin investigating your options the FIRST semester you enroll at VSCC. VSCC has several resources to assist you with your transfer plan, including school catalogs, transfer guides, admission's information as well as advisors and counselors to help you along the way.

How do I get admitted to a 4-year school?

University transfer admissions vary from school to school. Most often, transfer students are required to complete a certain number of credit hours (generally 24 - 30) to be eligible for "transfer student admissions". This means that your admission is based on your prior COLLEGE performance rather than your SAT, ACT or high school performance. Though some institutions will accept transfer students with a 2.0 GPA, most require a higher GPA. And depending on your major, you may have to apply not only to the institution, but to your major as well. Some majors are "impacted", meaning that you will be competing with all the other applicants, also called a "cohort", seeking to transfer into that major for the same semester as you. In this case, the minimum GPA varies depending on the GPA of the cohort. If you haven't completed enough credit hours to make you eligible for "transfer student admissions", your admission will be based on your SAT, ACT and/or high school performance. You will also need to be in "good standing" with the previous college you attended, though your GPA isn't specifically used to determine admissibility. University Information is available on-line to help you find out the admission requirements for various institutions.

How do I transfer my VSCC credits to another institution?

Simple - request that an VSCC transcript be sent the institution to which you are transferring. When the institution receives your transcript, they will evaluate your credits and where applicable, count them towards your degree. This is how your credits are "transferred". This most often occurs when you submit your application for admission to the institution to which you are transferring. However, students who take classes at VSCC each summer to transfer back to their "home" institution will need to request an VSCC transcript each time they complete coursework.

How do I know which courses transfer?

Credits transfer a few different ways. Some courses have a direct equivalent and will transfer as a specific course. (Ex: ENGL 1010 transfers to MTSU as ENG 1010.) Other courses transfer but do not have an exact equivalent. (Ex: EDU 101 transfers to TSU as EDCL 201.) Courses that don't have an exact equivalent sometimes transfer as elective credit, lower-division credit (LD Credit). Equivalency guides show a course-by-course listing of how VSCC courses transfer to different 4-year schools. It's always recommended that you contact the institution to which you intend to transfer if you have specific questions about the transferability of a course.

Now that I've chosen a major, how do I know which courses to take at VSCC?

Your best resource is to follow a "transfer guide". These guides are specific to a degree/major and institution and list the coursework you can take at VSCC that will transfer specifically for your degree or major. Most of these guides are available on the web, though a few are available only through The VSCC Advising or Counseling Center.

I'm still undecided about my major. Which courses should I take at VSCC?

If you are undecided about your major, but know that you will eventually transfer to pursue a bachelor's degree, it's best to stay with general education courses. If you will likely transferring to a Tennessee state-supported institution, you should follow the VSCC Core Curriculum. The Core will transfer to any Tennessee state school as a block. (Tip: Math and science courses are often degree-specific. Courses should be carefully selected to satisfy BOTH the Core requirements and your degree requirements.) If you will likely be transferring to a private institution, you should following the general requirements for that institution. It's best to work closely with an advisor or counselor to determine which courses to take within these requirements. The Core Curriculum and General Education guides guides for various schools are available on-line.

Can I complete a bachelor's degree on-line through Distance Learning?

Yes, depending on your major. VSCC has articulation agreements with schools that specialize in offering bachelor degrees via distance learning. These degrees are earned "on-line", where courses are taken over the Internet. A listing of on-line degree options are available on-line.

Are there scholarships available at 4-year schools specifically for transfer students?

Yes! Many institutions offer scholarships specifically for transfer students. Most are "merit" based, meaning that they require a specific GPA and number of complete credit hours to apply. Many of these scholarships are for more than one semester and will require that students maintain a certain level GPA to continue their eligibility. Some institutions have a scholarship application and deadline separate from that of financial aid while other institutions review ALL transfer students for scholarship eligibility based on their school admission application. Be sure to contact the school to which you intend to transfer EARLY to find out about any deadlines and applications you will need to submit. Many scholarship deadlines are in the Spring semester, regardless of the semester in which the student transfers.

I still want to know more about transfer and articulation. What other resources are on the web?

There are many great resources on the web for Tennessee higher education, scholarship and financial aid information, and for conducting college searches.

How Do I Figure My Grade Point Average (GPA)?

First, to determine the number of quality points earned, the number of credit hours is multiplied by the number of quality points the grade is worth.

  • Grade of A is worth 4 points
  • Grade of B is worth 3 points
  • Grade of C is worth 2 points
  • Grade of D is worth 1 point
  • Grade of F is worth 0 points

For example, if a student takes a three-hour course and makes an "A", that is 3 (semester hours) times 4 which equals 12 quality points.

The GPA is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the number of attempted hours. For example, if a student takes:

  • Sociology3 hours and makes an "A"= 12 quality points
  • Biology 4 hours and makes a "B" =12 quality points
  • Archery 1 hour and makes a "C" = 2 quality points
  • English 3 hours and makes a "B" = 9 quality points

11 total hours attempted 35 quality points

The GPA for the semester is 35 divided by 11 which is 3.18.