- Add New Message
- Reply to a Posting
- Post an attachment
- Download an attachment
- Flag Message
- Print Posting
If you have access to discussions, you can click the Discussion link on your course navigation bar:
The main discussion area displays a list of current, active discussions.
Select the discussion you want to join from the displayed list.
Add new message
- Go into the Topic (blue link) and Click to add a new message.
The Compose box displays at the bottom of the main Discussion page.
- Give the message a Subject title and type the text in the larger box. (To include an attachment, refer to the section below.)
- Click to add your post and view it as a yellow highlighted item in the main discussion list.
Reply to a posting
To reply to an existing post, select the existing posting from the list of messages in the Topic and click .
The Add Message: portion of the discussion panel displays, allowing you to reply to the posting much like you would to an email.
Post an attachment
To a new message:
- Click to add a new message as described in the previous section. Scroll down the screen until you see the Browse Command
- Click to locate the file that you want to upload (either from PC or from a network location).
To a current discussion posting:
- Select the posted message to which you want to add an attachment. The Add Messages window displays.
- Click to add a new message as described in the previous section.
- Click to locate the file that you want to upload (either from PC or from a network location) and change the message text to describe the new attachment, if applicable.
Download an attachment
- Select the postings with the attachment you want to download.
- Click the view messages in a printable format icon ( ) to view the selected messages
- Save the attachment by right-clicking (Command Click for a Mac) the attachment yperlink and choosing Save Target As from the menu, and browsing to the location to which you want to save the file.
"Flagging" a message allows you to make a particular discussion post (time-sensitive or important) more visible to users.
If you want someone in particular to view a message, create a new posting, or open an existing posting, click
displays beside the Subject text.
- Sort by flagged in the main discussion window by clicking the at the top of the list.
- Remove all flags in messages in the list at once by clicking and confirming the removal
- Flag multiple posts by checking the applicable posts and clicking
- Select the postings you want to print.
- Click the view messages in a printable format icon ( ) to view the selected messages.
- Choose the Print menu item under file in your browser navigation bar.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there any way to search a discussion board for relevant text?
- You can search postings by selecting the "search" icon located in the discussion nav bar next to the vew: drop down menu.
- What does the red flag mean?
- Flagging refers to the process of marking a discussion or topic with a flag to make it more visible to users. This usually indicates an important message or discussion.