- Campus Accessibility
- Disabled Parking Permits
- Documentation Criteria
- Emergency Evacuation of Disabled
- How to Register With our Office
- Mission Statement
- Staff and Employee Information
- Totally Disabled Fee Waiver
VSCC has made vast improvements for campus accessibility and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Nine buildings have automatic doors and outdoor directional signage. Each building has updated fire alarms with strobe lighting. The public pay phones have volume control for hearing impaired. If you should experience a problem with accessibility, please notify the Office of Disability Services located in the lower level of the Wood campus center or call (615) 230-3472.
Disabled Parking Permits
Temporary disabled parking placards are issued from the Office of Disability Services for use on campus only. Documentation must be provided and decals are issued with submittal of appropriate documentation. Placard must be displayed in the front mirror. There is ample parking for each building. The list of user names is submitted to Campus Public Safety.
- A qualified professional must conduct the evaluation: The name, title, and professional credentials of the evaluator, including information about license or certification (e.g., licensed psychologist) as well as the area of specialization, employment, and state in which the individual practices must be clearly stated in the documentation.
- Testing must be current:
Learning disability diagnosis
- high school students should have testing conducted within the past three years
- adult testing must be conducted within the past five years.
- evaluation must be within one year. ADHD and Other disabilities
- evaluation must have been conducted within the past three years.
- Functional Limitations: resulting from the disability or disabilities must be detailed as well as a clearly stated diagnosis.
- Documentation must be comprehensive: include complete educational, developmental, and medical history relevant to the disability for which accommodations are being requested. Include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability.
Emergency Evacuation of students with Disabilities
The Office of Disability Services (ODS) maintains a safety evacuation locator list. This list will be updated each semester with the names of students registered with ODS who are unable to independently evacuate a building in case of fire, tornadoes, or other disasters. ODS will disseminate the list to the VSCC Office of Public Safety and / or other qualified emergency personnel on the scene.
How to Register With our Office
Registering with the Office of Disability Services and providing appropriate documentation is the only way to receive accommodations. Please call us at (615) 230-3472 if we can answer any questions about the registration process. Students are encouraged to register with our office as soon as possible so that accommodations are available at the start of each semester. There are three ways to register with our office.
- Click on the following link to Register Online
- Click on the following link to Download Input Form
- Come to our office located on the bottom floor of the Wood Campus Center Map and fill out an intake form in person.
VSCC Disability Services Mission:
In support of the college's mission as a public, comprehensive community college, the Office of Disability Services ensures equal access to all campus programs and activities. The office promotes full participation in campus life for individuals with disabilities. Accommodations and support services are provided to students with disabilities who register with the office. Services are provided to assist students obtain their academic and personal goals. Assistance is provided in a collaborative way as to empower students to advocate for their needs and assume responsibility for their academic outcomes.
Totally Disabled Fee Waiver
Persons who are permanently and totally disabled and domiciled in Tennessee may audit classes at no maintenance charge, provided there is space available and sufficient fee enrollment. Special fees may be charged where required. Totally disabled persons who audit classes will be required to submit an application for admission to the college but not required to pay the $10.00 application fee. Classes may be taken for college credit at a maximum cost of $75.00, providing there is space available. Forms are available in the Office of Disability Services.
Staff and Employees
VSCC employees with disabilities can disclose with the Office of Disability Services in order to be provided with essential and appropriate workplace accommodations to be able to meet the essential elements of the job. For more information please click here or email Kathy Sowell.
Volunteer State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution, is an equal opportunity institution and ensures equal opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, status as a qualified veteran with advisability or veteran of the Vietnam era. 10:03.5.16