Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the Library's hours?
- The library is open Monday through Saturday when classes are in session.
|FALL & SPRING HOURS
|Monday – Thursday - 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
||Monday – Thursday - 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
|Friday - 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
||Friday - 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
|Saturday - 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
||Saturday - 8:00 a.m. – noon
- How do I get a Library card?
- To borrow items at the Vol State Library, you must have a library card. The Vol State ID is the library card for students, staff and faculty. Community patrons must present a valid Tennessee driver’s license to be issued a library card.
- Who can I ask for help in the Library?
- The entire Library staff is willing to help you. If you need reference assistance, you may ask at the Reference Desk, call (615) 230 - 3405, or e-mail email@example.com. If you have a question about checking out materials, ask at the Circulation Desk or call (615) 230 - 3402.
- Where do I learn how to use the Library’s resources?
- Iris Library Tutorial is made available for this purpose. Many instructors require students to complete the library tutorial and successfully complete the quiz.
- Can I search the Library’s catalog from home?
- Yes. You may use the Catalog Search form found at the bottom of the navigation column on all the Library’s web pages or you can go directly to the Catalog Search page.
- Can I access the Library’s full-text electronic resources from home?
- Yes. When accessing an online database from any off-campus location, you will be asked to sign in. This system uses the same username and password as MyVolState and eLearn. If you need assistance, call (615) 230 - 3405.
- Does the Library have internet access?
- Yes; the Library provides internet access for educational research.
- Are the Library computers equipped for the visually impaired?
- Yes; the Library’s catalog, electronic databases, and the internet can be searched on a computer equipped with zoom-text software.
- Are photocopiers, computers, a typewriter, … in the Library?
- Yes, yes, and yes! An open academic computer lab is available and frequently staffed with a student computer lab assistant to answer computer questions.
- Does the Library have any fun books?
- A rotating collection of browsing books, books on audiocassette, and books on CD are provided by the Friends of the Library Endowment Fund.
- Is it OK for people who live in the community to come to the Library?
- Yes; community patrons may do research and request and receive a borrower’s card.
- Is there a cell phone area in the Library?
- Yes! On the 1st floor, the Photocopying Room is designated as a cell phone area. On the 2nd floor, the hallway leading to the restrooms is designated. Cell phones can be used in the lobby outside of the Library entrance.
Copyright © 2004 – 2012 Volunteer State Community College. All Rights Reserved. Volunteer State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution.
Volunteer State Community College is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its programs and activities. Click here to see our full Non-Discrimination Policy.