Frequently Asked Questions

How will I receive my payroll check?

Direct Deposit is mandatory for all employees. If the payroll office has not received proper documents to establish direct deposit for your first payroll check, then an actual check will be mailed to your home address. Upon receipt of proper documents to establish direct deposit, future direct deposit advices will be emailed or mailed to your home address. Your payroll direct deposit notification will be sent to your e-mail address. Your notification will be accessible only from a link within the e-mail addressed to you and will be protected for viewing by a password. Instructions regarding the password will be in your email notification each pay period. If you do not have an email account your direct deposit advice will be mailed to your mailing address.

When is my payroll direct deposit money credited to my bank account?

Your funds are available in your account on the payroll date which is the last working day of the month. Depending on your bank, the funds may not be reflected in your account until their nightly posting for that day.

When and how will I receive my W-2 Tax Statement?

W-2s are processed in January for the previous calendar year and mailed to employees by January 31st of each year. The information may also be viewed through Employee Self Service Banner module.

Why does my W-2 amount differ from my contract annual salary?

Your W-2 reflects your taxable gross earnings that were paid during the calendar year (January-December). Your contract is based on a fiscal year or academic year and your W-2 is based on a calendar year of wages paid. Your taxable gross earnings may be reduced by pre-taxing health and/or dental premiums, participating in Medical/Dependent Spending accounts and participating in tax deferred annuities (i.e. 401(k), 403(b) and 457 plans)

When are timesheets due to the Payroll Office?

All Timesheets are electronic. They are accessed through Self Service Banner. Any necessary paper documents are due to the Payroll Office by noon of the 3rd working day after the 15th of the month. Please be aware that this information may be required earlier in the month of December due to the holidays.

Should anything be submitted with the Timesheet?

All approved compensatory time request/authorization forms, leave correction forms, contracts, or any other forms/information that are pertinent to the current payroll period should be submitted to payroll by noon of the 3rd working day after the 15th of the month.

When do I get paid and what is my pay period?

Payroll is paid once a month on the last working day of each month (with the exception of December). Pay periods are based on the employee’s classification as follows:

  • Regular full-time eleven or twelve month contracted employees are paid current. You are paid on the last working day of the month for that month.
  • Regular full-time nine month faculty are paid on the last working day of the month August through May for ten percent of their contract. In addition there is a reduction in pay for those months to provide a deferral payout in June and July. This provides for an equal distribution of the annual salary over 12 months.
  • Adjunct faculty teaching credit courses are paid on the last working day of the month September through December for fall semester contracts and February through May for spring semester contracts. Each payment represents twenty five percent of the contracts. Summer semester contracts are paid according to dates established on the contract.
  • Temporary part-time hourly and college work study students are paid on the last working day of the month for the period of the 16th of the previous month through the 15th of the current month.
I am a student, why are no taxes being taken out of my check?

All students who are enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours qualify for exemption from FICA taxes. Federal income tax is based on your filing status elected on your W-4 Federal Withholding Allowance form.

If I close my bank account or change my bank account to a different bank, what should I do?

You should immediately notify the Payroll Office via email to In addition, you should complete a new VSCC Direct Deposit Form (PDF) and return it to the Payroll Office along with a blank voided check or a direct deposit form from your financial institution with the required information for direct deposit to the Payroll Office. A deposit slip may not be acceptable documentation.

What should I do if I need to increase or decrease my Federal withholdings from my payroll check?

To make any changes to withholdings during the year, you should complete a new W-4 form and return it to the Payroll Office. You may either contact the Payroll Office or go on-line to the Internal Revenue Service website to get a new W-4 form (PDF).

If I terminate employment, what happens to my accumulated unused sick and annual leave?

Any employee who leaves employment for reasons other than gross misconduct will be paid for their accumulated unused annual (vacation) leave. Sick leave is not paid to employees upon termination of employment unless termination follows a documented extended illness.

How do I change my address?

Address changes may be made on line through Employee Self Service or by contacting the Human Resources Office or the Payroll Office.