III:07:05 Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
This policy defines the awarding of out-of-state tuition waivers to eligible students. There are two categories of eligible out-of-state tuition waivers: athletes and honors students. In order to receive an out-of-state tuition waiver, the student must satisfy the criterion defined in this policy.
Athletic Out-Of-State Tuition Waiver:
This waiver may be granted to students who satisfy the general College admission requirements and maintain National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) eligibility. A total of 25 scholarships are awarded and distributed among the sports as determined by the Athletic Director and coaches.
Honors Out-Of-State Tuition Waiver:
This waiver may be granted to students who satisfy the general requirements to participate in the Honors Program. The Honors Program offers high academic achievers opportunities to interact with other students with similar academic standards, small classes to ensure individualized attention, a strong academic program, priority registration and an enhanced academic record. No more than four (4) Honors Out-of-State tuition waivers may be awarded per academic year.
- complete the Honors Program application;
- be admitted into the Honors Program;
- be a full time student
- commit to taking 15 hours of Honors courses, earned over four semesters
- take at least one Honors course per semester
- maintain a 3.5 GPA;
- complete the Honors Program Leadership course (Hum 275) and
- attend and participate in Honors Program meetings
- be involved in service learning projects as assigned
Criteria for Choosing Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Scholarship Recipients:
Honors Program/Scholarship Committee will:
- review each application, and recommend the names(s) of students to receive scholarships to the Director of Financial Aid
- applications are scored according to a point system that awards points for: academic achievement, clarity of writing, critical and creative thinking, and need
NOTE: The number of Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Scholarships will be awarded based on the availability of funding.
Additional information about the Honors Program is available in the College Catalog each year.
VSCC Source: Former III:07:07, January 22, 2007, President; January 9, 2009, President's Cabinet