Veterans Affairs

Our Commitment To You

The Office of Veterans Affairs at Volunteer State Community College is honored to be able to serve students who are serving or have served in the United States Armed Forces and their dependents.

You and your family have protected our freedom; now we are here to help you get a better education.

Assistance with Educational Benefits

Veterans interested in attending Volunteer State Community College can obtain information about their GI Bill and other Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) educational benefits.  We are here to certify your classes for qualified students to the VA and DoD for payment of educational benefits.  We are also here to assist you with transitioning into and through college. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs meets with each student using VA or DoD educational benefits and explains VA eligibility requirements and ensures that all VA, DoD, and institutional requirements are understood and met. Below is a checklist that will help you navigate the VA Educational Benefit process.

Veterans Checklist 

Approval for Vol State to offer VA and DoD education or training comes with some conditions. Students receiving these benefits must have a degree or certificate plan, such as DegreeWorks, which must be followed to receive benefits. You must take only classes that fulfill your plan for Vol State. Any Learning Support classes taught online are not eligible for benefits. If you are not sure if the class you will be taking will be certified for attendance to the VA, contact the Coordinator of Veteran’s Affairs office to find out for certain before registering for classes.

For more information about your rights as a veteran you can visit the US Veterans Affairs Web Site.

Assistance to Military and Veteran Students

Any military, veterans, and qualified dependents of veterans admitted to Vol State may meet with the Coordinator of Veterans Affairs for assistance in clarifying objectives, establishing career goals, and making life/career choices. We are also here if you need assistance with other veteran’s benefits, transitioning to college, or just for a chat.  Feel free to stop by our office with any questions you may have.

The Department of Education and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau have provided tools to assist prospective students in making informed decisions about how to pay for college. Here is a list of websites to assist in researching colleges:

College Scorecard

College Navigator

Paying for College

Contact the Vol State Office of Veterans Affairs at:

Ken Hanson
Coordinator, Veterans Affairs
Ramer bldg, rm 183
1480 Nashville Pike
Gallatin, TN 37066
PH: 615-230-3444
FAX: 615-230-3645

Hours: 8:00-4:30, Monday - Friday

Veterans Certification Request Form

Download form