The Office of Veterans Affairs

Our Commitment to You

The Office of Veterans Affairs at Volunteer State Community College is honored to be able to serve students who are serving or have served in the United States Armed Forces and their dependents.

You and your family have protected our freedom; now we are here to help you get a better education.

Assistance with Educational Benefits

Veterans interested in attending Volunteer State Community College (Vol State) can obtain information about their GI Bill and other Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) educational benefits.  We are here to certify your classes for qualified students to the VA and DoD for payment of educational benefits.  We are also here to assist you with transitioning into and through college. Members of the Office of Veterans Affairs and Adult Learners or Student Services representatives at other campuses meet with each student using VA or DoD educational benefits to explain VA eligibility requirements and ensure all VA, DoD, and institutional requirements are understood and met.

Assistance to Military and Veteran Students

Any military, veteran, or qualified dependents of veterans admitted to Vol State may meet with members of the office of Veterans Affairs and Adult Learners for assistance in clarifying objectives, establishing career goals, or making life/career choices. We are also here if you need assistance with other veteran’s benefits, transitioning to college, or just for a chat.  We also offer our Veterans Center (Wood Campus building, room 101) as a location for camaraderie, or a place to study that is exclusively for veterans, military members, and qualified veteran dependents attending Vol State.  

Veterans Checklist

New students can use our Veterans Checklistas a guide to start the admissions and registration process.

Educational Requirements

Approval for Vol State to offer VA and DoD education or training benefits comes with some conditions. To be eligible for payment of VA or DoD education benefits, students must follow a degree or certificate plan, such as DegreeWorks. The VA and DoD will only pay for classes that fulfill your program plan for Vol State or through approval from your degree granting institution.

Any Math, Reading, or English Skills courses must be taken by conventional classroom method ONLY to be eligible for VA educational benefits (online versions of Skills courses are not authorized for VA certification).  These specific classes are ENGL 0810; MATH 0101, 0105, 0153; READ 0810. If you are not sure if the class you will be taking will be certified for attendance to the VA, contact the office of Veteran’s Affairs and Adult Learners to verify before registering for classes.

Veterans Certification Request Form

If a student would like to use their VA or DoD education benefits for a term, they must first register for classes.  Each semester after registration, students will complete our Veterans Certification Request Form (VCRF) found on this page (blue button) to let us know you want to use your VA or DoD education benefits.   

Education Rights and College Research

For more information about your rights as a veteran you can visit the US Veterans Affairs Web Site.

The Department of Education and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau have provided tools to assist prospective students in making informed decisions about how to pay for college. Here is a list of websites to assist in researching colleges:

College Scorecard

College Navigator

Paying for College

Vol State Veterans Affairs Contact:

Penny Starr
Secretary III, Veterans Affairs and Adult Learners
Wood Campus Building, room 101
1480 Nashville Pike
Gallatin, TN 37066
PH: 615-230-3444

Hours: 8:00-4:30, Monday - Friday

After hours: 4:30 to 6:30 Mondday -Thursday:

Wood Campus Center, Suite 217 (Phone: 615-230-3494)

Veterans Certification Request Form

Download form