Information on this page comes from a variety of sources. Volunteer State Community College provides this page as an unaffiliated resource for use by the communities we serve. When conducting a job search, it is the responsibility of each individual to research the integrity of the organizations to which one is applying. Individuals are advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization and when supplying personal information through the Internet. Volunteer State Community College does not author, edit or monitor this page and therefore does not assume responsibility for its content or veracity.
Director of Planning & Stormwater
Company: Sumner County, Tennessee
Location: Gallatin, TN
Sumner County, Tennessee, located within the greater Nashville area and situated along Old Hickory Lake, offers diverse cultural opportunities and an array of nearby recreational activities. The high quality of life and affordable cost of living makes Sumner County one of the more attractive counties to live in Tennessee. Rapid growth in the region poses a number of growth-related challenges and opportunities, so the county is seeking a dynamic individual as the County Planner to oversee planning activities for the unincorporated, mostly rural county.
Work responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
• Implements the adopted 2035 Comprehensive Plan that outlines the County’s priorities involving land use, transportation, and sustainability.
• Works with the Sumner County Regional Planning Commission and County Commission to update the Sumner County Zoning Resolution and Subdivision Regulations to reflect the 2035 Comprehensive Plan and newly adopted Stormwater Resolution.
• Oversees the MS4 Stormwater personnel. Complete stormwater inspections if necessary.
• Reviews site plans and subdivision plats for adherence to County regulations.
• Uses professional knowledge and skills in developing and carrying out planning activities.
• Monitors, collects, maintains, and presents data on various aspects of local planning issues using a variety of computer software including databases, spreadsheets, geographic information systems, and graphics software.
• Coordinates County planning activities with regional stakeholders involving transportation, mass transit, sustainability, and other regional quality of life initiatives.
• Coordinates County planning activities with the eight municipalities in the County.
• Answers and responds to questions from County staff, the general public, other government employees, elected officials, committee members, and others regarding County planning and zoning activities.
• Assists with the planning and development of a County greenway system and County parks including related grant development.
• Carries out any additional work as necessary to complete required activities
Submit letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Full time
Work Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, meetings as required
Compensation: Based on experience
Start Date: March 17, 2018
• The ideal candidate will possess strong oral and written communication skills and is able to communicate to a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Work activities vary daily requiring flexibility and motivation.
• A master's degree in planning or related field and two years of experience in community or transportation planning or a bachelor's degree in planning or related field and four years of experience in community or transportation planning is required.
• Experience with spreadsheet, database, and GIS software is required.
• AICP certification is preferred.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: 4 years
Date Posted: February 23, 2018