Volunteer State Community College offers a 12-month Dental Assistant technical certificate program that includes classroom and clinical instruction. The goals are to prepare students to work in the field and qualify for national and state examinations.
Getting Into the Program
Admission is competitive. Only 24 students are admitted each year. Applicants must write an essay; watch a Dental Assistant at work, then complete an observation form; and answer questions in an interview. Those who have taken other academic courses at Volunteer State Community College get special consideration. Applicants need to submit high school transcripts or G.E.D. scores, ACT scores or take the college placement exam and a complete the Pre-Health Sciences Interest form.
The one-year certificate program includes classes in dental science, dental x-rays, office management, materials and labor procedures, and working with patients who have serious health problems. Many classes involve both lectures and lab hours. Clinical training on campus and in dentists’ offices give students real work experience and make graduates attractive job candidates. Volunteer State Community College has clinical agreements with dozens of dental practitioners throughout Middle Tennessee. By the time students finish the program, they’ll have had nearly 400 hours of clinical work.
The technical certificate option is a one-year, three-semester program. If the student wishes to pursue a two-year degree they can take the Associate of Applied Science - Health Sciences. Students wishing to pursue the A.A.S. Health Science Option must take English Composition I, Humanities or Fine Arts, Natural Science, Social Science, and either Communications or Math plus another 13 hours of electives.
Placement testing is necessary and preparation is available for Volunteer State Community College students through Learning Commons.
- Instruction — Volunteer State Community College instructors have educational and clinical expertise to enhance the student’s learning experience.
- Reputation — Volunteer State Community College has an excellent reputation in the health sciences and dental community.
- Advisory Committee — The dental community is supportive of the program and has representatives on the Dental Assistant Advisory Committee.
- Placement — All dental assistant graduates who wish employment find many opportunities within the surrounding area.
- Accreditation — The program in Dental Assisting is accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.
What to Do Next
- Download the Dental Assisting Program Information Packet
- Apply to the College
- Submit a Pre-Health Sciences Interest Form
- Explore the links on the left side of this page