First Year Experience (FYE) is our campus-wide, student success initiative for our institutional Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), required by our accrediting body, SACS COC.
SACSCOC Description of the QEP
According to SACSCOC, “The Quality Enhancement Plan describes a carefully designed and focused course of action that addresses a well-defined topic related to enhancing student outcomes.” To that end, Volunteer State Community College has identified goals and a plan to improve student retention. This project will involve the input and participation from a broad base of college stakeholders and will be financially and institutionally sustainable.
The First Year Experience (FYE) at Volunteer State Community College is a holistic program for first-time freshman that empowers students to transition to college life, succeed academically, and become engaged members of the community and workforce. Students learn about campus resources, co-curricular and social activities and college traditions and culture to promote a sense of belonging within our campus community. In addition, each student should gain a mindset of self-awareness and well-being and develop a desire for life-long learning. The FYE supports the overall mission of the college to prepare students for successful careers, university transfer, and meaningful civic participation in a global society.
To increase student success outcomes by connecting students to the campus community, engaging students in their college experience, and providing students with the tools they need to be successful beyond their time at Vol State.
The QEP includes these programs:
- CONNECT - Promote a sense of belonging within the campus community - Student Orientation
- ENGAGE – Foster a mindset of self-awareness and well-being - New Student Convocation
- SUCCEED – Develop a desire for life-long learning - Student Success Courses
As our students successfully complete the FYE program, our campus community can celebrate that by working together as one body -- “We Are One!”. These three components of the QEP work together to ensure that each student can continue to thrive in their #PioneerYear.
- New Student Orientation – To connect students to the campus community and resources needed to foster success
- New Student Convocation – To engage students in their college experience and foster a sense of belonging
- First Year Experience Courses – To provide students with the tools they need to be successful in the classroom and beyond
- Institutional Goal – To improve retention rates of first-time, full-time students
- Institutional Goal – To increase graduation rates of first-time, full-time students