Citizenship or Lawful Presence

Effective October 1, 2012, the Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) requires public colleges and universities to verify that any student seeking state public benefit (in-state tuition and fees) is either a “United States citizen” or “lawfully present” in the United States.

If you are a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident, or a Qualified Alien, and you live in Tennessee you may verify your citizenship or lawful presence by presenting one of the following:

  1. A valid non-temporary Tennessee driver's license or photo identification license issued by the State of Tennessee Department of Safety; or
  2. A valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card;
  3. A valid, unexpired U.S. passport;
  4. A certificate of citizenship (N560 or N561 );
  5. A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570 or N578);
  6. A U.S. citizen identification card (1-197, 1-179);
  7. Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with Visa Stamped "Processed for I-551";
  8. Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card;
  9. Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit (I-327);
  10. Refugee Travel Document (I-571);
  11. Valid unexpired Foreign Passport with a valid Visa in a category that permits study at an institution of higher education;
  12. Any other document determined by the US Department of Homeland Security to be acceptable through the SAVE program.

If you are not a Tennessee Resident then you may verify your citizenship or legal presence by doing the following:

  1. Present one of the items from List A along with one item from List B:

List A

  1. Valid, unexpired state issued driver license or photo identification card from any state other than Tennessee
  2. Valid , unexpired Employment Authorization Card

List B

  1. A valid Permanent Resident Card (I-551) without ID picture
  2. An official birth certificate issued by a US State, jurisdiction, or territory; except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010
  3. A US government issued certified birth certificate
  4. A US certificate of birth abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  5. A reprint of birth abroad of a citizen of the US (FS-240)
  6. Arrival/Departure Record
  7. Notice of Approval of Status with bottom I-94 portion attached (Form I-797)

If you are lawfully present in the United States, but unable to present forms of documentation establishing lawful presence in the United States please contact the Admissions Office.

Students who have had their lawful presence verified through the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) are not required to submit additional documentation (e.g., J-1 and F-1 student visa holders).