Academic advisors are assigned to all students enrolled at Vol State. Academic advisors are committed to helping students meet their educational needs in many ways:
- Assist students in planning an educational program consistent with their interest and abilities
- Help students clarify career goals
- Monitor a student's academic progress
- Clarify degree requirements
- Assist with the registration process
- Provide information on course substitutions and transfer requirements
- Assist with understanding a degree audit within DegreeWorks
- Assist with the graduation application if assigned advisor is not available
- Serve as a student advocate
The Advising Center is located in the Ramer Administration Building. It is available to serve the advising needs not only of degree-seeking students but also for the non-degree-seeking students. Students will be assigned to an advisor who specializes in working with their chosen degree program.
Normal operating hours for the Advising Center are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students may visit, call (615) 230-3702, or email email@example.com, but are encouraged to make an appointment with their assigned academic advisor during the fall and spring semesters.
Making the Most of your Advising Appointment
- Make an appointment with your Faculty Advisor well in advance.
- Arrive on time for your appointment.
- Review catalog requirements and schedule of classes before the advising appointment. Write down any questions you may have.
- Take appropriate materials with you such as forms and transcript evaluations.
Follow up on any referrals and recommendations made by your faculty advisor.