What is PIONEER CONNECTIONS?
Pioneer Connections is a peer mentor program for Adult Learner/Non-Traditional students starting at Vol State for the first time or returning after a life pause. Who are Adult Learners at Vol State? They are amazing, dedicated students who are age 24 or older, active military or veteran, or are considered FAFSA independent. Each Spring semester, we search for Peer Mentors who are ready to support other Adult Learners and enhance their own leadership skills. Once a new Adult Learner student is connected to a Peer Mentor, they are a Mentee. A mentor-mentee connection that includes related adult student experiences will provide an added layer of support and assist overall student success. Pioneer Connections is all about students helping one another SUCCEED!
Peer Mentor Information
Why be a Pioneer Connections Peer Mentor?
- Opportunity to help/support fellow Adult Learner students
- Peer Mentors receive an $1100 scholarship award each participating semester (Fall & Spring)
- Elite opportunity to be among a select number of Adult Learner peer mentors
- Leadership experience – Peer Mentors are student leaders
- Great addition to resume
- Part-time or Full-time enrollment at Vol State (6 credit hr. minimum) each Fall/Spring semester of the academic year served
- Remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with 2.5 GPA minimum
- Have completed two semesters (at least 12 credits-earned) at Vol State OR currently in second semester
- Able and dedicated to meet the responsibilities of a Pioneer Connections Peer Mentor
- Peer Mentors must complete work scholarship work hours. Expectations include but are not limited to: required training, communication with Mentees (per program requirements/needs), participation in team meetings (virtual with on-campus, if possible), assisting with Mentee and Adult Learner events/initiatives, staying updated on student resources, etc.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- Use the link below to complete the Peer Mentor application – Deadline for 2023-2024 academic year Application + References: May 8, 2023
- Two completed faculty/staff references are required. Email reference requests with this webpage link and/or the Reference form to your chosen faculty/staff references. References are to email completed forms directly to email@example.com. Directions are on the Reference Form.
- Selected applicants will be interviewed for final selection.
If you are a new or returning Adult Learner student at Vol State, you can connect with another Adult Learner student leader – a Pioneer Connections Peer Mentor!
- Complete the Mentee Information Form (Before 2nd week of Fall or Spring semester)
- Mentees are to participate in the program, connect/communicate with their Peer Mentors (virtually, email, etc.)
- Mentee Benefits: you meet other Adult Learner students (virtually or on-campus), connect with those who have experienced or are experiencing life as an Adult Learner/Non-Traditional student, have access to resources and a support network of peers, and so much more!
- Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions