Prepare for ABO Optician Certification Online
American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certification is the nationally recognized standard for certifying an optician's qualifications. This 100% online course will teach you the terminology, calculations, and procedures opticians use to assess vision, evaluate corrective options, and correct optical problems. Using a step-by-step methodology, you will prepare to test on key areas required by the ABO certification exam.
Job Outlook for Opticians
- Due to an aging population and emerging technologies in vision correction and options in eyewear, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects robust opportunities for opticians. It expects job growth for opticians to expand by 7% between now and 2028, faster than average growth for all jobs.
- Opticians earned $37,840 on average for 2019, according to BLS data. PayScale.com notes that top opticians earn over $52,000 in pay and associated bonuses.
- Opticians overwhelmingly enjoy their work. Among 10,000 employees in more than 200 jobs surveyed by Business Insider, only opticians scored a 100% job satisfaction rate. The survey results noted that opticians incur less stress and enjoy the results of their work more than other professions.
- Prepare to take and pass the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) exam
- Learn how to understand and assign prescriptions to customers
- Develop an understanding of the human eye and its functions
- Understand corrective eye care solutions available for patients
- Learn how prisms and lenses work
There are no prerequisites to take this course. However, a high school diploma or GED is required to take the ABO exam.
- WHAT IS AN OPTICIAN?
- THE PARTS OF THE EYE
- REFRACTIVE ERRORS
- STRABISMUS AND AMBLYOPIA
- OTHER COMMON OCULAR CONDITIONS
- FRAME BASICS
- FRAME STYLING
- ALIGNING FRAMES
- ADJUSTING FRAMES
- A QUICK LOOK AT LIGHT
- READING A PRESCRIPTION
- MORE ABOUT PRESCRIPTIONS AND LENS TYPES
- LENS MATERIALS
- PRISM BASICS
- FRESNEL PRISMS
- OPTICAL EFFECTS OF LENS CURVATURE
- MULTIFOCAL LENS CONSIDERATIONS
- THE MANUAL LENSOMETER
- MORE ABOUT OPTICIANRY MEASUREMENTS AND CALCULATIONS
- SIMPLE MATH AND ALGEBRA
- SOFT CONTACT LENSES
- GAS-PERMEABLE CONTACT LENSES
- LEGAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND ETHICS
- PREPARING FOR THE ABO EXAM
DR. BEVERLY SMITH
Dr. Beverly Smith is a Doctor of Optometry and has been in private practice for more than 24 years. She also holds a Master of Business Administration and founded a consulting firm that helps new practitioners start and manage their own eye care practices. Throughout her career, Smith has taught many future opticians, certified paraoptometrics, and fellow optometrists. Her work has been published in the professional journals New O.D. and Women in Optometry.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.