Tuition Assistance

The Department of Defense (DoD) has mandated a uniform Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) fiscal policy across the service branches which include Army, Air Force, Marines and Navy.

The FTA program pays for tuition only.

All four service branches and the U.S. Coast Guard offer financial assistance for voluntary, off-duty education programs in support of service members’ personal and professional goals. The program is open to officers, warrant officers and enlisted active-duty service personnel. In addition, members of the National Guard and Reserve Components may be eligible for TA based on their service eligibility. To be eligible for TA, an enlisted service member must have enough time remaining in service to complete the course for which he or she has applied. After the completion of a course, an officer using TA must fulfill a service obligation that runs parallel with – not in addition to – any existing service obligation.

The Tuition Assistance Program may fund up to 100% of your college tuition and certain fees with the following limits:

  • Not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour
  • Not to exceed $4,500 per fiscal year (October 1 through September 30)
  • Students may receive FTA payments for no more than a lifetime total of 130 undergraduate semester hours and 39 graduate semester hours.

To ensure all service members participating in off-duty, postsecondary education programs are provided quality education programs, the Department of Defense established the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between DOD and the colleges. Volunteer State Community College is a participating institution in the DoD MOU Program.

To Enroll at Volunteer State Community College:

  • All eligible Service Members must receive approval from their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to registering in classes at Volunteer State Community College
  • Service Members who fail to receive approval for TA prior to enrollment will be obligated for the amount due for the costs of tuition and fees.
  • Employees of the College are not responsible for the submission and approval of TA requests made by Service Members.
  • Submit Application for Admission. Apply Here.
  • Establish an ArmyIgnitED Account and do the following:
    • Create Education Goal (Tutorial).
    • Complete Annual Virtual Benefits Training (Tutorial).
  • Meet with your academic advisor.
  • Register for classes. (If approval has been received from Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor.)
  • Once Education Goal is approved by your Education Center (How to Find Ed Center Info), login to your ArmyIgnited account and create Tuition Assistance Request (Tutorial).
  • After your TA has been approved, contact the Office of Adult Learners and Veterans Affairs at or 615-230-3444.