Volunteer State Community College has partnered with Follett Bookstore to provide the Digital Engagement Initiative (DEI) program. Students enrolled in certain courses are charged an “eBook” fee for the online book and/or online homework. Students are automatically charged the fee to their student account, and will have access to the material on day 1.
These fees are not covered by TN Promise or TN Reconnect and may need to be paid out of pocket, if no other forms of aid are received. Be sure to check your My Vol State portal before fees are due to verify all fees will be covered by your financial aid.
Opt Out Option for DEI
If you decide you do not want to purchase the course materials provided to you as part of the program, you will be required to OPT OUT of the program. Be on the lookout the first week of classes for each part of term with instructions on how to opt out. If your instructor does not require the eBook or online access, you will still be required to opt out to avoid paying the fee. If you opt-out, you will be responsible for obtaining the required course material on your own. Once you have opted out, you will have until the deadline to opt back in. The deadline will be announced in the email the first week of classes, for each part of term. Please be sure to check with your instructor to ensure the material is required. The opt out period will vary for each part of term. If you register for a late starting class, you will be able to opt out during the period for that particular part of term. These dates are listed below.
If you have purchased a separate plan allowing unlimited access to the required course material, you will be required to follow the “opt out” process in order for the charge to be removed from your account. This includes Cengage Unlimited.
DEI Fees for Dropped Courses
The DEI fees are 100% refundable if dropped before the bookstore deadline for each part of term, listed below. If a course is dropped after this date, the DEI fee is non-refundable. After the class begins, the fee will not be removed from your account automatically. The fee will be removed once the invoice is received from the bookstore, once the drop period has ended.
Spring 2021 Important Dates and Deadlines
- Full Term – Part of Term 1 – 1/19 – 5/6
- Opt-out/in emails sent 1/19
- Opt-out/in portal 1/19-2/2
- Last day to drop 2/19
- 1st 7 Weeks – Part of Term 7 – 1/19 – 3/5
- Opt-out/in emails sent 1/19
- Opt-out/in portal 1/19-1/26
- Last day to drop 2/10
- 2nd 7 Weeks – Part of Term D – 3/15 – 4/30
- Opt-out/in emails sent 3/15
- Opt-out/in portal 3/15-3/23
- Last day to drop 3/31
- Ten Weeks – Part of Term T – 2/23 – 4/30
- Opt-out/in emails sent 2/23
- Opt-out/in portal 2/23-3/3
- Last day to drop 3/19
Fall 2020 Important Dates and Deadlines
- Full Term – Part of Term 1 – 8/24 – 12/4
- Opt-out/in emails sent 8/24
- Opt-out/in portal 8/24-9/9
- Last day to drop 9/14
- 1st 5 Weeks – Part of Term 5 – 8/24 – 9/28
- Opt-out/in emails sent 8/3
- Opt-out/in portal 8/3-8/6
- Last day to drop 8/7
- Ten Weeks – Part of Term T – 9/29-12/4
- Opt-out/in emails sent 9/29
- Opt-out/in portal 9/29-10/9
- Last day to drop 10/13
- 2nd 7 Weeks – Part of Term D – 10/14-12/1
- Opt-out/in emails sent 10/14
- Opt-out/in portal 10/14-10/21
- Last day to drop 10/28
DEI Course List
Please note, this list is applicable to the Fall 2020 Term. The list will be updated each semester, and could change as new courses are added.
|ECON 2100 (online sections only)||78.75|
|ECON 2200 (online sections only)||78.75|
|PSYC 1030 (certain sections only)||39.00|
|PSYC 2120 (certain sections only)||30.60|
|PSYC 2130 (certain sections only)||44.00|