Program Admission & Nondiscriminatory Statement
Policies for admission, promotion and graduation shall be implemented without discrimination or bias. Volunteer State Community College is an equal opportunity affirmative action educational institution. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefit of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity of the College because of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation or handicap. Due to the nature of the MLT profession, the ability to distinguish colors shall be assessed before admission into the program.
Admission to the MLT program is limited and on a competitive basis. The MLT program starts in May and continues for twelve months. Screening for entry into the program is conducted in April. Acceptance is contingent upon completion of the general education core and MLT 100 with a 2.2 minimum GPA. Eligible candidates must participate in an interview with the Screening Committee. Please see the information packet for more information about class selection criteria.
Schedule for Selection and Notification
- Deadline for program application: March15.
- Interview: scheduled after March 15.
- Review of applications by selection committee. Class selection is based on:
- Minimum GPA of 2.2
- Acceptable performance in MLT 100
- Acceptable background check and drug screen (initiated after program acceptance)
Special consideration is given to those with previous health-care experience, high GPA in science courses, knowledge of profession, and a good interview score. Sixteen (16) students are accepted each year into the MLT program. Preference is given to in-state residents.
- Students are notified of acceptance in writing by mid-April.
- Following acceptance into the Program, students must respond in writing within seven (7) days after the postmarked date of their acceptance letters. A student who fails to respond will forfeithis/her place in the class.
- The MLT program courses begins in May and continues for twelve months, ending with graduation.