Students interested in one of Volunteer State Community College Health Sciences programs must follow the A.S. in Health Sciences curriculum. You must contact an advisor in your preferred area of emphasis to identify appropriate general education and elective courses for admission into your selected program. For more information about specific program deadlines and requirements, please refer to the program's information packet.
About the Program
It is hard to imagine the scene of a bad car accident, natural disaster or medical crisis at home without an ambulance in the picture. Emergency Medical Technicians, Advanced EMTs, and Paramedics have become a vital part of both our health care system. Responding to emergencies, and administering care is exciting but stressful. This demanding profession continues to be in demand. The EMS Education department at Volunteer State Community College offers:
- The first step is to be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician
- Upon successful completion an EMT can then progress to the AEMT Advanced EMT Level.
- Licensed AEMTs can then progress into the Paramedic Program
- Paramedics also have the opportunity to continue their education and earning their Associate’s of Applied Science Degree.
All interested students must:
- First Apply to the College
- Meet the reading requirement of a 12th-grade reading level by either:
- Compass or Accuplacer Test Score
- Successful completion of ENGL 1010
- Submit all transcripts from previous college-level courses to Adminissions (as applicable)
Volunteer State Community College's Paramedic Progam is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Sciences Education Programs (CAAHEP) Upon recommedation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs of the Emergency Medical Professions (CoAEMSP), the program's goal is "To prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels."
Commission on Accreditation CAAHEP of Allied health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33756