Pioneer Connections (PC) is a peer mentor program for Adult Learner students preparing to start its second year. Who are Adult Learners at Vol State? They are amazing, dedicated students who are age 24 or older, active military or veteran, or are considered FAFSA independent. For the upcoming academic year, we are seeking Adult Learner peer mentors who are ready to support other Adult Learners (Mentees) and be a connection to resources and peer understanding. We believe a mentor-mentee connection that includes related adult student experiences will provide an added layer of support and assist overall student success.
Pioneer Connections is about students helping one another SUCCEED.
- Mentor receives a scholarship award per semester (Fall & Spring) of participation
- Opportunity to help other Adult Learner students
- Elite opportunity to be among a select number of Adult Learner peer mentors
- Leadership experience
- Great addition to resume
- Part-time or Full-time enrollment at Vol State (6 credit hr. minimum) each Fall/Spring semester
- Remain in good academic and disciplinary standing (2.5 GPA minimum)
- Have completed two semesters (at least 12 credits-earned) at Vol State OR currently in second semester
- Able and dedicated to meet the responsibilities for being a Pioneer Connections Peer Mentor
- Mentor weekly communications + training + program/Adult Learner events + team meetings (virtual with on-campus if possible)
We are currently taking applications for the 2020-2021 Pioneer Connections Peer Mentors!
- Online application - link provided via email, contact information below
- Two faculty or staff references are required – provided via email, contact information below
- Selected applicants will be invited for interview and final chosen applicants will be offered to be a PC Peer Mentor
For application/reference form information or questions, please contact Amy Hoffman (email@example.com).
Be connected to a Pioneer Connections Peer Mentor!
As a new or returning Adult Learner student, you have the opportunity to connect with another Adult Learner student Peer Mentor in our Pioneer Connections program.
- First step – if you are new to VSCC or a returning Adult Learner student - complete the Mentee (that’s you!) Information Form - link provided via email, contact information below
- Once connected with a Mentor, you will be a Mentee!
- Please note, since the Mentor number is limited, there is a limited number of Mentee spots available.
- Mentees are asked to communicate with their Mentor weekly/periodically and meet their Mentor (virtual or if possible, on-campus).
For questions or link to Mentee Information Form, please contact Amy Hoffman (firstname.lastname@example.org).