Students can participate in study abroad programs in more than 20 countries around the world. Courses in all programs are for college credit, and scholarships to help with program costs are available for those who qualify.
Study abroad programs provide life-changing academic experiences. Every program enables students to immerse themselves in another culture while visiting sites of cultural and historical importance that connect directly to the course material. Study abroad programs range from 1-3 weeks and take place over spring break and throughout the summer. Some programs include students and faculty from across Tennessee. Others are Vol State faculty-led programs with only VSCC students. The Tennessee Consortium for International Studies (TnCIS) administers both types of programs for Vol State.
Vol State Study Abroad Locations
In 2022, Vol State faculty are helping to lead programs in all these exciting locations. Click on the links for a virtual introduction to each destination.
- China - Explore Ancient History and Modern Culture
- Cuba - Experience Criminal Justice Systems Around the World
- Ecuador/Galapagos Islands - Immerse Yourself in the Mecca of Biologists
- England - Take a Stroll Through Buckingham Palace in London, England
- Grand European Capitals (includes Amsterdam, Berlin, and Paris) - Climb the Eiffel Tower
- Ireland - Explore the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland
- Japan - Tour Japan's Scenery
- South Africa - Meet the Penguins at Boulders Beach in South Africa
Plus, there are many more programs available through the TnCIS consortium.
How to Apply
Students who are interested in study abroad should start by reviewing available program options at TnCIS.org and attending an information session.
Application deadlines will vary by program. Be sure to follow all deadlines posted on the program pages within the TnCIS website.
- Complete the TnCIS online application.
- Ask one of your Vol State professors to be your reference before you submit his or her name to TnCIS. This recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Submit your nonrefundable $100 application fee to the Vol State Business Office Cashier while on campus or by phone at (615) 230-3585. Do not pay online through your portal.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges you have attended to TnCIS. To request your Vol State transcript, visit the Records & Registration Office. Once logged in, choose Pellissippi State Community College and under the office option, Tennessee Consortium for International Studies (TnCIS). All Vol State transcripts are processed electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse.
If accepted, you must register for your study abroad courses through the Vol State student portal during the normal registration period and attend the mandatory student orientation session for your program.
Scholarships are available to students who apply and are qualified.
Due to the complexity of financial aid regulations, individual students are responsible for consulting with the Vol State office of Financial Aid regarding the impact of study abroad registration, costs, and/or scholarships awarded.
In addition to the study abroad program fee, all students enrolled in Vol State faculty-led study abroad programs pay a minimum of tuition and applicable mandatory fees for the course they register for.
Vol State will not collect tuition for students enrolled in TnCIS consortium-model study abroad programs.
Information sessions about study abroad programs and scholarships are held during the academic year. Check here for available sessions.