Vol State currently conducts two commencement ceremonies each year, one at the end of the Fall semester and one at the end of the Spring semester. Summer graduates participate in the following Fall ceremony. Participation in Commencement is optional, but strongly encouraged. Participating in the ceremony in no way confirms completion of requirements or official graduation. All program requirements must be completed before the credential can be posted to the student's transcript or diploma.
Spring 2022 Commencement will be held in-person on May 7th at 10:00 a.m. in the Moore Gymnasium of the Pickel Field House building on the main campus in Gallatin.
All Spring 2022 applicants will receive an invitation to their student email account in March with details and instructions.
Participants will receive guest tickets for the ceremony. The number of tickets will be determined by the number of participants.
The ceremony will be live-streamed on our website for family, friends, faculty/staff, and the community to view live on May 7th. It will be recorded and available for viewing on the website once the ceremony has ended.
Student names will appear in the Commencement program as listed in our system. If a student has a name change, a Name/Permanent Address Change electronic form should be completed.
Due to the timing of grade entry at the end of each term, graduation honors to be included in the ceremony and on transcripts for degree seeking students are calculated based on the student's previous term GPA. All college level courses, including transfer work, will be included in calculating honors.
Please send any questions or concerns regarding graduation and commencement to email@example.com.
Commencement Ceremony Checklist
If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, please make sure to do the following:
- Eligible graduates will be sent an email to their student email account in March with instructions on how to complete a Commencement Registration form to participate in the ceremony. There is no cost associated with participating in the ceremony.
- Frequently check your student email account for important commencement instructions and updates. Below are a few emails scheduled to go out to participants.
- An email with dates and instructions on regalia and guest ticket distribution will be sent in April.
- Final ceremony details will be sent the beginning of May.
- Participants graduating with Latin (GPA) Honors receive a gold honors tassel through the Bookstore when picking up their cap and gown. At the time of distribution, the Bookstore will have a list of all participants that qualify for Latin Honors. The list will not be available prior to this date.
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society students may order PTK honor accessories through the PTK website. If you’re a member of another honor society, please review the Academic Regalia section online for approved items and purchase your items directly from that society’s website. Remember to leave time for shipping!
- Veterans: A special cord to identify your veterans status will be available with regalia through the main campus bookstore. The Bookstore will have a list of all participants that have veterans status with the Office of Adult Learners & Veterans Affairs.
- The ceremony will be streamed on the Vol State graduation web page on May 7th at 10:00 a.m..
- All ceremony participants will receive a diploma cover during the ceremony. Visit https://www.volstate.edu/graduation/diploma for diploma details.
- Please complete our graduate surveys.
Following is approved regalia for commencement:
- GPA Honor Graduates – Gold Tassel
- United States Veterans – Red, White & Blue Cords
- Lambda Epsilon Chi (LEX), Paralegal Honor Society – Purple Sash with Gold Society Letters
- Vol State Academic Honors Program – Red Ribbon with a Bronze Honors Program Medallion
- Sigma Chi Eta, Community College Honor Society of the National Communication Association – Red & White Cords
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society – Gold Key Honors Stole, Blue & Gold Cords, and/or Blue Cord with Golden Key Medallion
- Sigma Alpha Pi, The National Society of Leadership and Success – Platinum Stole with Black Society Letters and/or Black & Platinum Cords
- Sigma Kappa Delta, The English Honor Society for 2-Year Colleges – Gold & Green Cords
- Kappa Beta Delta, International Honor Society for ACBSP Accredited Business Programs – Royal Blue Stole with Black & Gold Key and/or Blue & Yellow Honor Cords