Next Commencement: Saturday, May 8 at 10:00 am & 2:00 pm
We are celebrating the accomplishments of our graduates with a hybrid commencement this spring. All 2020 graduates and spring 2021 applicants were invited by email and text to participate in spring Commencement. Students that signed up to participate in-person are participating in one of two ceremonies on Saturday, May 8 at 10:00 am or 2:00 pm. A specific ceremony time is assigned to each participant and has been communicated via email. Students that signed up to participate virtually have the option to receive a slide showing their name, degree, honors, and photo (if provided) during one of the live ceremonies. The week following the ceremonies, all participants will receive a 30 second keepsake Commencement clip they can download and post to social media or email.
All Commencement instructions and details are being emailed to participants. Any questions or concerns should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the number of students registered to attend Commencement in-person, the College is not able to accommodate guests and maintain appropriate social distancing. Only participants will be allowed to attend the May 8th on-campus ceremonies.
Both ceremonies will be streamed on our website for family, friends, faculty/staff, and the community to view live on May 8th or at a later date/time.
Vol State currently conducts two commencement ceremonies each year, one at the end of the Fall semester and one at the end of the Spring semester. Summer graduates participate in the following Fall ceremony. Participation in Commencement is optional, but strongly encouraged. Participating in the ceremony in no way confirms completion of requirements or official graduation. All program requirements must be completed before the credential can be posted to the student's transcript or diploma.
Due to the timing of grade entry at the end of each term, graduation honors to be included in the ceremony and on transcripts for degree seeking students are calculated based on the student's previous term GPA. All college level courses, including transfer work, will be included in calculating honors.
Student names will appear in the Commencement program as listed in our system. If a student has had a name change, an Update Student Record Form along with official documentation must be submitted to the Office of Records & Registration.
We strongly encourage all Graduates to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. This is a time for you, your family and friends, instructors, and college staff to celebrate your achievement!
Commencement Ceremony Checklist
If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, please make sure to do the following:
- Eligible graduates will be sent an email to their Vol State student email account before October 26, 2020 with instructions on how to complete a Commencement Registration form to participate in the ceremony. Participating in commencement is FREE and the deadline to complete the Commencement Registration form is November 11, 2020.
- Students that complete the Commencement Registration form by the above deadline will receive a graduate slide in the ceremony. An email from StageClip will be sent to participating students towards the end of November with instructions on how to upload a photo, message, and/or video clip to be included in the ceremony. During this same time, a separate email will be sent from the Vol State graduation staff to participating students with instructions on receiving cap and gowns.
- Participants graduating with Latin (GPA) Honors receive a gold honors tassel through the Bookstore when picking up their cap and gown. The Bookstore will have a list of all participants that qualify for Latin Honors.
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society students may order PTK honor accessories through the PTK website. Leave time for shipping!
- Veterans: A special cord to identify your veterans status can be purchased through the main campus bookstore. The Bookstore will have a list of all participants that have veterans status with the Office of Adult Learners & Veterans Affairs.
- It’s important that participants frequently check their student email account for important reminders and deadlines from both StageClip and the graduation staff. Requests or submissions past deadlines will likely not be accepted due to the vendor’s tight schedule. Any questions or concerns about commencement should be sent to email@example.com.
- The ceremony will be posted on the Vol State graduation web page on December 12 at 10:00 a.m. Participants will receive an email notification from StageClip after the ceremony of their individual graduate clips to share with family and friends.
- Please complete our graduate surveys.
Following is approved regalia for commencement:
- GPA Honor Graduates – Gold Tassel
- United States Veterans – Red, White & Blue Cords
- Lambda Epsilon Chi (LEX), Paralegal Honor Society – Purple Sash with Gold Society Letters
- Vol State Academic Honors Program – Red Ribbon with a Bronze Honors Program Medallion
- Sigma Chi Eta, Community College Honor Society of the National Communication Association – Red & White Cords
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society – Gold Key Honors Stole, Blue & Gold Cords, and/or Blue Cord with Golden Key Medallion
- Sigma Alpha Pi, The National Society of Leadership and Success – Platinum Stole with Black Society Letters and/or Black & Platinum Cords
- Sigma Kappa Delta, The English Honor Society for 2-Year Colleges – Gold & Green Cords
- Kappa Beta Delta, International Honor Society for ACBSP Accredited Business Programs – Royal Blue Stole with Black & Gold Key and/or Blue & Yellow Honor Cords