- Volunteer State Community College has Initial Accreditation by AVMA-CVTEA
- Graduates of this program may take the National Veterinary Technician Exam and apply for licensure as a Licensed Veterinary Medical Technician (LVMT) in Tennessee
- Enrollment in the program is limited to 24 students every Spring semester
- Once in the program, you must maintain a C or better in all VET classes to proceed through the program
- Each VET class must be taken in sequence. Contact us for the correct sequence of classes in the program.
- Students may be enrolled in 10 to 17 hours a semester, depending on the number of general education classes completed prior to acceptance into the program
- Students should refer to their individualized DegreeWorks plan, created with their advisor
- Transfer students must submit official transcripts to Vol State’s Admissions Office
2. Acceptable Placement scores or completion of all learning support (if applicable)
- High School students must have the following minimum ACT scores to apply: English – 18, Reading – 19, and Math – 19
3. Completed Veterinary Technology Application (separate from college application) to include:
- Passport type photo (head shot - 2 x 2 inches)
- Completed Observation Form
- 20 hours of observing, volunteering, or work experience under the supervision of a veterinarian or licensed veterinary technician is required
- If a Veterinarian is unfamiliar with the program, please give them this letter which explains the program, the reasons why observation is required, and what we expect from the clinic.
- One reference letter: not from close family or observation location
- Signature that student has read and can fulfill the Essential Expectations of a Veterinary Technology Student
Applications for Spring 2019 are due the first Friday in November, 2018. Submit applications to Hope Wright, DVM Program Directory (Vet Tech Building 104A).
Interviews will be the week of Finals in December.
Applicants are selected based on
- GPA : overall plus science (weighted based on completed hours) (Science courses: AHC 115, CHEM 1030, BIOL 1010)
- Reference letter, hours of experience, personal statement (what is said and how it is said)
Conditional acceptance - additional requirements
- Must pass a background check (students expense)
- Must submit proof of health insurance (students expense)
Official Veterinary Technology Advisors
Dr. Hope Wright DVM
DJ Smith LVMT
Dr. Doug Shaw DVM PhD