- Volunteer State Community College has Initial Accreditation by AVMA
- Graduates of this program may take the National Veterinary Technician Exam and apply for licensure as a Licensed Veterinary Medical Technician (LVMT) in Tennessee
- Enrollment in the program is limited to 24 students every Fall semester
- Once in the program, you must maintain a C or better in all VET classes to proceed through the program
- Each VET class must be taken in sequence (minimum of 4 semesters)
- Students may be enrolled in 10 to 17 hours a semester, depending on the number of general education classes completed prior to acceptance into the program
- Students should refer to their individualized DegreeWorks plan, created with their advisor
- Essential Expectations of a Veterinary Technology Student
To qualify for an interview, you must complete the following and submit to the Math and Science Division Office (Warf 100) by the deadline.
- Transfer students must submit official transcripts to Vol State’s Admissions Office
2. Completion of all learning support (if applicable)
- High School students must have the following minimum ACT scores to apply: English – 18, Reading – 19, and Math – 19
3. Completed Veterinary Technology Application (separate from college application) to include:
- Passport type photo (head shot - 2 x 2 inches)
- Completed Observation Form
- 20 hours of observing, volunteering, or work experience under the supervision of a veterinarian or licensed veterinary technician is required
- If a Veterinarian is unfamiliar with the program, please give them this letter which explains the program, the reasons why observation is required, and what we expect from the clinic.
- One reference letter: not from close family or observation location
- Signature that student has read and can fulfill the expectations of a veterinary technology student
Applications for Fall Semester 2017 are due no later than April 14, 2017. Interviews will be the second week of May.
Applicants are selected based on
- GPA : overall plus science (weighted based on completed hours) (Science courses: AHC 115, CHEM 1030, BIOL 1110, & BIOL 2230)
- Reference letter, hours of experience, personal statement (what is said and how it is said)
The top 24 will be granted conditional acceptance.
Conditional acceptance - additional requirements
- Must pass a background check (students expense)
- Must submit proof of health insurance (students expense)
- Summer Orientation and Advising with the Program Director
Official Veterinary Technology Advisors
Dr. Hope Wright DVM
DJ Smith LVMT
Dr. Doug Shaw DVM PhD