The College works with students interested in gaining professional experience in their potential fields of study through internships (self-directed experiences/non-credit) and work-based learning opportunities (course based/for college credit).
WBL/Internships help students gain “real world” work experience, create academic pathways toward specific career awareness, and assists them with development of career readiness and soft skill competencies while launching their future careers.
If you would like more details, please contact Dr. Rick Parrent, Administrator of Work-Based Learning at (615) 230-3321 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The College may also work with students to customize internship experiences either from the list of business partners below or other organizations.
If your business is interested in exploring opportunities associated with apprenticeships, please contact Nicholas Bishop, Vice President for Economic and Community Development at (615) 230-4788 or Nicholas.Bishop@volstate.edu
Work-Based Learning courses are credit-bearing and may be offered during fall, spring, and summer semesters. Communicate with your faculty advisor in advance of the semester you plan to enroll to determine eligibility and course availability.
- Gain experience that will make it easier for you to find employment when you graduate.
- Explore a potential career without investing lots of time and money.
- Earn college credits and money.
- Draw connections and analyze relationships between your job and what you are learning in school.
- If you are already working when you enter the program, your employer will become increasingly aware that you are a motivated individual and deserving of additional training and promotion.
- Provides a ready-made training and recruitment program reducing present costs.
- Creates an opportunity to observe future employees with a minimum commitment.
- Enables business and industry to participate in and influence the educational process.
- Motivates permanent employees toward continued learning opportunities.