Information on this page comes from a variety of sources. Volunteer State Community College provides this page as an unaffiliated resource for use by the communities we serve. When conducting a job search, it is the responsibility of each individual to research the integrity of the organizations to which one is applying. Individuals are advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization and when supplying personal information through the Internet. Volunteer State Community College does not author, edit or monitor this page and therefore does not assume responsibility for its content or veracity.
Summer Near Peer Coach
Company: STARS Nashville
Location: Davidson County TN
STARS's mission is to support young people in overcoming social and emotional barriers through creative and innovative programs centering on prevention, intervention, treatment, training and compassion. STARS has been serving the Middle TN community for over 30 years. STARS Nashville has 5 core programs, (Student Assistance, Kids on the Block, Services for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Youth Overcoming Drug Abuse, and a nationwide training program) and often partners with other groups to benefit the community.
STARS Nashville is currently working with over 30 local Nashville agencies to employ 75 college students (Near Peer Coaches) to coach young people, ages 14 - 15 years old, over the Summer of 2018 (May 29 – July 13, 2018).
Opportunity NOW is a coordinated initiative launched by Mayor Megan Barry to provide young people in Davidson County access to employment. In Nashville, we have seen fewer and fewer teenagers and young adults working during the summers and after-school. At the same time, Nashville employers across various industries are concerned about the lack of social and emotional skills among their youngest employees—skills most readily learned through actual work experience.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Facilitate Positive Youth Development
• Lead teambuilding week for youth participants
• Coordinate payroll time collection for worksite
• Assist in coordination of daily project activities: goal-setting, timeframe, required tools, clean-up, etc.
• Deliver curriculum content related to soft-skills, financial literacy, and college knowledge
• Facilitate daily reflection time, integrating team-building and conflict-resolution skills into project activities
• Facilitate communication between Participants, Subject Matter Expert, Near Peer Coach Leader, Host Site Leader, Transportation, and Opportunity Now
• Work hours – Monday – Friday – 25 to 30 hours per week
• Training: Required Near Peer Coach training sessions: May 19, 2018 from 8am-5pm (8 hours) OR May 21 from 8am - 5 pm (8 Hours)
• On-site training – 8 hours on Week of 5/21 – Date(s) and time(s) to be determined
• Program dates: May 29 to July 13, 2018
• Pay - $12.00/hour
To Apply – Send resume and contact information to Kay Higgs @ email@example.com – Put in Subject Line – Opportunity Now Jobs
Job Type: Contract
Work Hours: M-F, 25 - 30 hours a week
Compensation: $12 an hour
Start Date: February 23, 2018
• Currently enrolled at a college or university in Davidson County or maintain Davidson County residency
• Undergraduate experience in social work, education, or a related field preferred
• Must successfully pass Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background check prior to start
• Time management and organizational skills
• Self-motivated and independent worker with the ability to successfully multitask
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to work with a diverse population
• Adaptable and flexible
• Willingness to lead and speak in front of groups
• Willingness to work with young people, age 14 – 15
• Able to lift up to 20 lbs.
Experience: No experience required
Date Posted: February 5, 2018