Class Formats for Fall 2022
Vol State will offer four class formats:
Online – Fully online classes within eLearn, as we have usually done them. These are labeled Online: Asynchronous, meaning you can log in and receive instruction and do your work at any time. Asynchronous means there are no assigned class times, but there will be assignment due dates each week.
- Virtual – Classes will use a videoconferencing service (for example, Zoom) to meet at an assigned time to deliver live instruction. eLearn will be used to submit assignments or access additional materials. These are labeled Virtual Class:Synchronous, which just means that they have assigned days and times for the online class meetings. Our videoconferencing services are free. Software may be downloaded directly from volstate.edu.
- Hybrid – A combination of online or virtual and an on-site, in-person component. The idea is to limit the number of class meetings.
- On-Site Face-to-Face – Traditional classes occurring at one of our campuses. This is primarily for classes that have a significant “hands on” component, such as some science labs, and Health Sciences, Art, and Music instruction, to name a few.
If you are new to online learning, that is not a problem. We will walk you through it. Vol State is ranked number seven in the nation, and number one in Tennessee, for online learning at community colleges, according to the review group College Consensus. We use an online system called eLearn. It’s a web page that will have your classes and assignments. Please take a few minutes to visit this explanatory web page and get acquainted with eLearn.
In addition, we have computers and other IT related resources that may be provided if you need assistance.
No matter what happens this summer or fall with COVID-19, we are ready to support you in your classes and help you do well in those classes. We’ll be in touch with new information periodically, so please keep checking your student email regularly and visit the Vol State website and the Vol State Facebook page for timely updates. Advisors are available to help if you have questions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 615-230-3702 to set up an online or phone appointment.
Help with Technology and Online Learning
- If you are new to online classes or have questions about eLearn, the platform for online courses, view our eLearn Success page.
- We also have computers and other IT related equipment that may be provided if you need assistance. Visit IT related resources.