- Drivers and passengers should always remain seated while the cart is moving.
- Only authorized employees should be permitted to drive utility vehicles.
- The number of users on a cart should never exceed the number of seats.
- Slow down and honk the horn (if available) at intersections. Try and make eye contact with pedestrians.
- Reduce speed when near pedestrians, and remember that they have the right-of-way.
- Use safety mirrors whenever possible (if available).
- Reduce speed when turning corners or passing through openings.
- Do not park carts in the way of emergency equipment, aisles, doorways, or traffic flow.
- Only drive the cart at a speed which is safe for conditions. Never operate a cart at a speed over 15 mph.
- Always observe any applicable traffic laws.
- Always try to operate carts on approved travel areas.
- All passengers should keep their hands, arms, and legs within the confines of the cart.
- When the cart is not in use, always park it in a safe area and apply the parking brake.
- Do not leave the keys in the ignition when left unattended.
- Never back up without looking to see what is behind the cart.
- Maintain a safe distance between your cart and other vehicles or carts.
Inspect each cart daily prior to use. Check for:
- Tire condition and inflation.
- Forward and reverse gears.
- Brake condition.
- Turn signals, horns, and mirror positioning.
- Overall cleanliness.